Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve
Rio Frio Cave, Rio on Pools, 1000 Foot Falls & Village of Augustine
- Belize For Naturalists
- Belize Cave Tours
The Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve, the largest national park in Belize, embraces at least 300 square miles of pine forest, with large pockets of limestone, which explains the abundance of caves in the area. Your visit will include stops at:
- The Rio Frio Cave – an awesome walk-through, “visitor-friendly” cave, okay even for claustrophobics. Learn about limestock stalactites, stalagmites, columns and other natural formations and photograph the most popularly-photographed site in the Cayo District.
- The small village of Augustine, where you’ll learn about the history of logging and current Forestry projects.
- The Rio On Pools, a continuous series of natural pools formed within granite boulders, connected by small rapids or waterfalls (swimming option).
- Lunch on your own at Gaia River Lodge and a ride on Belize’s only hydro-powered rain forest tram to see the five gorgeous waterfalls that give the Lodge its name.
- Big Rock Falls, where you’ll have time to cavort in natural waterfalls and pools.
- Your guide will discuss the characteristics of the two contrasting ecosystems you will be experiencing, the local flora and fauna, common bird species in the area, local history and industry.
- 1000 Foot Falls, the tallest waterfall in Central America (it’s actually 1,600 feet).
US $90/pp (based on 2 person minimum)
Departure: 7:45 – 9:00 am (varies)
Duration: Full day (varies)
Fitness Requirement: Moderate to good
Food Provided: Lunch on own. Picnic lunch option available.
What To Bring
Sunscreen, insect repellent, camera, binoculars, raingear if needed. We provide water and beach towels.